Tuesday, March 01, 2005

mourning

Lately it seems like life is a constant state of mourning. You stop mourning one thing to find that you're mourning for someone or something else. I might sound a little strange saying this but I kinda like it. I like feeling my heart break for the brokenness of the world, for the loss of beautiful things. In the vast sea of my countless messed up responses, this feels like a light in the darkness. I'm doing something right. I feel God's heart in my mourning. I feel closer to Him because I'm doing what He's doing. And then I feel hopeful. And it makes me smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. The world is very broken and there are lots of things that make God sad (and we are right to be sad about, too). His promise is, though, that "blessed are those who mourn, for they shall laugh."

It is possible to be both sad and hopeful. I should know, I do it all the time, too. :-)

jonathan said...

Wow - it's cool to hear you two (whoever anonymous is) say that. I don't think I'm very good at knowing how to be mournful in a Godly way yet. But I know it's a Godly reaction, and I'm happy that you've been able to experience it.